Forums

Topic: What will gaming be like in 2030?

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Tayrailbridge

This is based on the post made by Tanookduke about gaming in 2050. I was wondering what gaming would be like in 2030, as it's much closer and easier to predict.
What consoles will still be around? Will Xbox die out and turn to game-pass on other consoles? What Playstation model will we be up to, 6? Will Nintendo have another crisis, as they usually do every once in a while?

Tayrailbridge

skywake

My expectation is that the Switch 2 will continue on the same path that the Switch has created. We'll be towards the end of that cycle by 2030 but it'll still be going. I don't think they're about to hit some kind of crisis in the medium term. In general I think on these forums we tend to underestimate how big a deal the Switch has been for the broader gaming market. I don't think the Switch is a bubble

Where Microsoft will go? I think we're going to see XBox as a service. It'll increasingly become a platform that's not tied to a specific piece of hardware. Which yes, would include game-pass. I don't think Nintendo or Sony will buy into it but in the PC space? Without question. It's already happening to a degree. I wouldn't at all be surprised if XBox either becomes its own version of Windows that can be installed on various piece of hardware or is an app you can install on windows. Or both

With Playstation... I think Sony are a very predictable company. I think we'll get a Playstation 6 which will largely just be the same thing but more powerful. With the technology hook this time being AI acceleration baked into the SoC which is something AMD is already pushing

More generally I think we'll see Ray Tracing and AI upscaling become so common we start to take it for granted. Switch 2 won't really be pushing it that hard but will have it somewhat. PS6 will go all in. Obviously on PC it'll be a thing and by the end of this decade I think pretty much all PCs will have AI acceleration of some kind or another. How it will be used? No idea. But developers will develop

But yeah, end of this decade? Broadly I think things will largely look the same as they do now. In the same way that 2019 looks broadly the same in terms of gaming as things do now. Because 5 years is about how long it takes to make a new game these days. The games of 2030 are games people are thinking up now, and they're thinking them up based on the games and tech that exists now. No doubt some of those ideas are crazy.... but that crazy idea doesn't exist in the market for others to be inspired by yet

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

FishyS

Are we going to make one of these threads for every decade? 😝 What will gaming look like in 2180??

That said, yeah, will definitely still be using my Switch 2 in 2030 and playing ports of games which already exist today but couldn't run on normal Switch as well as Mario Maker 3, Mario Kart 9/X, and perhaps the next open world Zelda. And who knows, maybe Silk Song and Metroid Prime 4 will both be out by then. 😛

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

MontyCircus

At some point there won't be consoles, no box next to your tv. It will all be apps and cloud gaming.

Your controller will sync directly to your tv and away you go. A 100% digital future.

No $500 USD commitment to a particular box necessary. Everyone has access. To all of them.

Just need the right PS6/Xbox Series Y/Super Switch 2 "Gaming Ready" TV.

MontyCircus

DreamlandGem

Please can we use the original thread for this discussion

They’re such similar topics so it’s easier to keep the conversation in one place, thanks ☺️

Poyo!

Twitter:

• Page 1 of 1

Sorry, this topic has been locked.